Saturday, 18 September 2010

Stimulating September 3



Hello Everyone,


The answers to last week's questions are now available. How many did you get right? I sometimes find it hard to believe that seven days have passed since I posted my last blog. I guess it's the old adage: time goes faster when you're older! I just must be getting old. Have you had an exciting, memorable week or one you would rather forget? Have you achieved all the goals you set yourself for the week?

I have almost completed the final reading through of my next book, Sofia's Legacy which is the sequel to Look After Each Other and will be available in about three months. This week has also been significant for me as it is TEN years since I received the first copies of my debut novel, Time & Tide and now I'm completing my fifth work.

The photo I've uploaded is one which I took at Ice House Pool in the Sandwell Valley, West Bromwich. It's a place I rather enjoy visiting and I suspect most people will be surprised to discover it is at West Bromwich!


So, let's get on with the quiz!


1. Who wrote 'A Farewell to Arms'?
ERNEST HEMINGWAY
2.What is the capital of France?
PARIS
3.Name the French Fortress, later a state prison, which was destroyed on July 14th 1789.
BASTILLE
4.Rules governing boxing were drawn up in 1866. By what name are they known?
THE QUEENSBERRY RULES
5.Who said, 'I have nothing to declare except my genius'?
OSCAR WILDE
6.Who was the first woman to make a solo flight from England to Australia?
AMY JOHNSON
7.Which town on the Mississippi was named after a French king, also a saint?
ST LOUIS
8.What do the initials F. B. I. stand for?
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
9.What is the currency of Indonesia?
RUPIAH (Rp)
10.What is the name given to any journalist who is not employed by any specific paper?
FREELANCE
11.Which berry is used to flavour gin?
JUNIPER
12.Who invented the first astronomical telescope?
GALILEO 1609
13.Which sport is Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali associated with?
BOXING
14.What is the Roman numeral for 500?
D
15.Who was the first President of the USA?
GEORGE WASHINGTON
16.What is 'topiary'?
TRIMMING OF BUSHES AND HEDGES INTO ORNAMENTAL SHAPES
17.What is a baby whale called?
CALF
18.If I were leaving from Lime Street Station, which British city would I have been visiting?
LIVERPOOL
19.What is the 'Decalogue' more commonly known as?
THE 10 COMMANDMENTS
20. In Look After Each Other, Derek and Sofia live in the suburb, Wollaton but which British city is it a suburb of?
NOTTINGHAM
So, folks feast your brains on these questions. Answers next week. If you need more information on any of my books look at September 13th 2009 in the archives.
Remember, Time & Tide wait for no man, so have No Regrets. Always Stay in Touch and Look After Each Other!
Thought for the week: You never get a second chance to make a first impression!










No comments:

Post a Comment