Friday, 9 September 2011
Stimulating September 1 THE BOOKWORM!
What an exciting summer! Now Donald and I are back "upstairs" and our life or death is continuing. Remember you can read all about us in Look After Each Other and Sofia's Legacy. The links are below.
This month, "she" is doing her quizzes and here is the first. She is calling it "The Bookworm"!
1. Who has a secret diary and is in love with Pandora?
2. What is the title of Peter Ustinov's autobiography?
3. In which book did Toad of Toad Hall first appear?
'The Wind in the Willows'
4.Which of F.Scott Fitzgerald's novels begins, In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice... ?
'The Great Gatsby'
6. By what name is Samuel Langhorne Clemens better known?
7.The setting for Thomas Hardy's novels is the West Country of England. What is his name for this region?
8.Which book by Paul Gallico is a story of Dunkirk?
'The Snow Goose'
9.Which author wrote about Tilly Trotter?
10. Which Shakespearean play begins with a storm and a shipwreck?
11. Where were the following authors born a) D H Lawrence b) Charles Dickens c)Thomas Hardy
a) Eastwood, Nottingham, b)Landport, Portsmouth c)Nr. Dorchester
12. What is the title of the American novel by Steinbeck about the migrants heading for the Golden West of California?
'The Grapes of Wrath'
13. In which books do the following characters appear
a)Eustacia Vye b)Dorothea Brooke, c)Catherine Barkley?
a) 'The Return of the Native', b) 'Middlemarch' c) 'A Farewell to Arms'
14. Who was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature in a)1954 b)1962?
a) Ernest Hemingway b)John Steinbeck
15. In which book do Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara appear?
'Gone with the Wind'
16. What theme did both Christopher Marlowe and Goethe use for a play?
The Faust Legend
17. In which novel are the March sisters first introduced?
18. Which 17th Century work was written in Bedford jail?
'The Pilgrim's Progress'
19. Who wrote Brave New World?
20. In which century was Beowulf written?
Answers next week. Have a great week folks and if you have time on your hands, do not waste it... read a book.
Thought for the week: People say that life is the thing, but I prefer reading. (Logan Pearsall Smith Trivia 1917)
My own thoughts!!