Friday, 8 November 2013

Nostalgic November 2! Friendship




Howde  Folks!

Donald and I are still here. We've not heard directly from Lady M, but the grapevine tells us that she is having the time of her life in the sun.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed our revival of 'Derekisms' last week. This week I've found another of her early blogs originally titled, 'How far would you go?' It asks questions about true friendship. Well, when I was with you downstairs I only had one real friend from my infant school days... dear Miranda. We were very different people but that difference seemed to seal our friendship and later we became sister-in-laws. In fact, when I knew I was going to leave the downstairs party too soon it was Miranda who I left the most intimate of letters to begging her to look after my children and marry  Derek (well, perhaps that was a tall order) so that they would be a family. I left her a friendship bracelet as a special gift and I know she treasures it.

Anyway, on to Lady M's blog.

                                                                   ********

This week I'm thinking about real genuine friendship and ask,

What is true friendship?

How far would you go to help a friend?

The ultimate answer is given in Dickens' novel, 'A Tale of Two Cities' when Sydney Carton, an innocent man, is going to the scaffold, "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done..." Would you surrender your life for someone else? We do have our brave heroes in society:- the emergency services and our soldiers who risk their lives every day. They earn and deserve our respect and thanks. But as to the rest of us, would we really make that sacrifice?

How often have you been let down or betrayed by someone you thought was a true friend?

Are you a giver or a taker in friendships?

Do you still have friendships from childhood days which have lasted throughout life?

What qualities do you look for in a friend?

What is the magic ingredient that makes friendship?

Perhaps you are or have a true friend. Maybe you would like to share the secret of your friendship with us?

George Washington stated, "True friendship is a plant of slow growth."

R W Emerson, the American writer stated, "The only way to have a friend is to be one."

Albert Camus, the French writer stated, "Don't walk before me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Just walk beside me, and be my friend."

Is friendship really that simple?


In "Stay in Touch", two school friends promise to remain friends forever but their individual life's take over and their friendship is reduced to Christmas and Birthday cards with messages for fifteen years. When they do meet up again and try and catch up on the lost years that old enemy the time thief allows just a stolen hour on Sheffield station. During that hour both admire their friend and decide that she has the better life; the wealthy Lucy leaves envious of her friends apparent happiness whereas the poor, down-trodden victim Chrissy watches her friend leave in the first class compartment thinking that the real answer to life's problems is money. What transpires as a result of the meeting are two very changed life's as they both aspire to be like the other and try to complete a list of childhood goals before their fiftieth birthdays.

(Trust her to mention one of her books!)
 
Until next week, Look After Each Other!
Thought for the week, Your friend is a man who knows all about you, and still likes you. (Elbert Hubbard, The Notebook 1927)
 
Sofia  xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment