Friday, 18 April 2014

Spring/Autumn Reading 2


Hello Everyone!

Lady M still here, while Sofia and Donald are cooling off; but they join me in wishing all our readers

                                          A HAPPY EASTER

Last week, I talked about my first two works and now I would like to give you information about my third book, Stay in Touch. An appropriate title for Eastertide. A message to all friends and relatives to stay in touch. It is so easy in the hustle and bustle of 21st century life to lose friendships.
 
When I wrote this book I was proud to be able to say that I was an author and publisher of 'books' as opposed to just one book!. With this book I confessed to being an absolute hoarder and justified never throwing anything away because it might come in useful one day. In the 1980's a friend suggested that I write a play for a competition and it was at a time when I had met up with an old school friend. We had been communicating by sending postcards, birthday cards and Christmas cards with scribbled notes for many years and promising to meet up but had never managed to find the time. At last, we were together in my home telling each other of marriages, divorces, and events throughout the fifteen years since we left school.

It was this incident which inspired me to write a play set in the cafe on Sheffield station. Two friends meet and tell each other of their lives in a hurried hour and promise to Stay in Touch but of course they both know they will not! That's Life!

I was thinking about what to write next and looking through files when I discovered this forgotten play and asked many questions, What if? What if one is poor and one is rich? What if they both wanted what the other had? What if they would do whatever if takes to get it? What if they had set themselves goals to achieve in their childhood and decided to do them?

When my editor (a man!) read the manuscript I believe he was quaking in his shoes! He wrote the blurb for the jacket cover

"Just what can drive a woman to murder? Or even three murders? Men. How can she become a serial killer, undetected and rich on the proceeds of her crimes? It all seems so simple for Christabelle after failed marriages to a homosexual and a bigamist. She confides only so much to her best friend as they recall their youthful wishes and dreams.
If you have ever written down 50 things you intend to do before 30,40 or 50 you will understand and marvel at this black comedy.
Marilyn L Rice has written a story which races along with the pace of a thriller yet shrewdly observes the problems facing women today and a terrifying solution of how they can be overcome.
And when you have finished the book the story will stay long in your mind...whether you are a woman - or even more so if you are a man."

This book was self-published in 2005 and launched at the Hay Festival. The ISBN is 9780953945122 and the price £8.99 GBP (paperback). If you would like a copy please contact me, visit Amazon, or they are available by giving the ISBN at any good bookshop.

Yours

Lady M








2 comments:

  1. I had a friend like that once. She moved to California and we would call or write. After 20 yrs of contacts, I tried to call her one day and never heard back. I even tried to write a letter and nothing. I don't know what ever happened to her!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that, Lisa but let's all learn from it and make a positive effort to 'stay in touch' with all of our friends.

      Delete