Friday, 10 March 2017

Poetry


The Shakespeare Room at the Birmingham Library
 Hello Everybody,
 
After thinking about writing, flash fiction and dialogue I want to continue with this theme and move on to poetry. My pic at the top was taken on a visit to the Birmingham Library where there is a room dedicated to the playwright, William Shakespeare. However, he also wrote The Sonnets, a collection of 154 sonnets or poems, which covers themes such as the passage of time, love, beauty and mortality. The first 126 sonnets are addressed to a young man; the last 28 to a woman.
 
What is poetry?
 
It is defined in dictionary.com as
    "the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance."
 
Or in the Free Dictionary,
 "1. A verbal composition designed to convey experiences, ideas, or emotions in a vivid and imaginative way, characterized by the use of language chosen for its sound and suggestive power and by the use of literary techniques such as meter, metaphor, and rhyme.
2. A composition in verse rather than in prose.
3. A literary composition written with an intensity or beauty of language more characteristic of poetry than of prose."
 
Generally speaking when we think of poetry we think of language written in some form of verse rather than prose. I consider it a clever way of using words to express emotion or inform of situations. I am thinking particularly of war poetry written by Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon. I studied Wilfred Owen's poetry as part of my 'A' Level course and learned far more about the First World War from his poetry than I did from either films or books. (There was no Internet in my youth!). I still remember his graphic descriptions and a phrase associated with his work of 'the pity is in the poetry'.  Poets, like writers of prose or even artists, tend to have their own way of writing and expression. Moving briefly into the art world, think of artists like L S Lowry renowned for painting matchstick men and images of Salford; or remembering my visit to the Wolverhampton Art Gallery in January,  Roy Lichtenstein, who by specific use of colour, black outlines and dots created  his own distinctive style. 

I have occasionally dabbled in poetry and would like to share with you a humble effort which I put on Facebook on the day I received my concessionary bus pass.

 
I can no longer escape it.
The proof came in the post this morning.
I have tried to ignore it.
I hoped it would go away.
At last it is here.
I never really expected it.
I'm still wondering how it happened.
Yes,
I have to admit it
It's painful.
I still can't believe it.
Has it really happened?
How come I didn't notice?
It sort of crept up on me.
I can't deny it.
I really am a...
PENSIONER!
My bus pass is living proof.
Now, I'm able to ride on the Centro into Birmingham city and visit the new library, all for free.
I'd better be quick before the new, expensive library closes due to lack of finance!

Okay, I guess I had better stick to prose! But at least I can never be accused of not trying!

For the remainder of this month I would like to introduce you to my March poet and good friend, DARRYL ASHTON. As a first sample of his distinctive poetic style I am proud to bring you one of two tribute poems he has written especially for me. The other one is in my book, WRITE IT! PUBLISH IT! MARKET IT! 
 https://www.amazon.co.uk/WRITE-PUBLISH-MARKET-Marilyn-Rice-ebook/dp/B01AQS37I2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1485276181&sr=8-5&keywords=write+it+publish+it+market+it


THE LADY MARILYN L RICE



 
   I know a lovely lady,
    an author of fine vigour,
She enjoys the Karma
Sutra - and she has
a curvy figure.
A writer of fine words -
and an author so 
sublime,
When she writes her
saucy books - every-
thing does rhyme.


Her name is Lady
Marilyn, and she is a
total delight,
Every spare minute
she has - she grasps
her quill to write!
Her soul is so inviting - 
and her brain is very
adventurous,
She also writes a 
fabulous blog - she
really is a temptress.


Then one day Lady
Marilyn met a pen-
friend - Darryl Ashton
is his name,
At first they were so
flirtatious - maybe 
playing the game!
Lady Marilyn was a
charmer - and she
used to silently 
whisper;
'In the ears of Darryl
Ashton - and known
as Baron Jumpmaster!!!!'


Lady Marilyn became 
an Emmanuel - and 
she flirted with her
Jumpmaster,
And she also used to
scream at Darryl: 
'Do it bloody faster!'
One fabulous lady
author - and a poetic
comedy poet,
Living the Karma Sutra -
'wouldn't you just know
it!!!!'


Pease follow the eloquent
Lady Marilyn - a woman
with artistic writing,
And if you get to meet
her - Lady Marilyn will
be so inviting.
I, myself, now salute,
this lovely lady' so nice,
My Lords, Ladies and
Gentlemen may I proudly
present; 'Lady Marilyn L Rice.


BY
DARRYL ASHTON 
Have a great week. Next week more from Darryl.

Yours,

 The Lady Marilyn  L  Rice

                                          
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you my darling Lady Marilyn. Thanks so much for featuring me and my poems on your fabulous website. My poems are also being read on the cruise ship - Queen Elizabeth!!!! WOW! WOW! WOW! Thanks again, Lady Marilyn. XXXX

    ReplyDelete