Friday, 11 August 2017

Our tribute to the King

💗                                                    




Image result for Young Elvis Presley
Elvis in his US army uniform. I love a man in a uniform! Sexy!

Hello Everyone,
Lady M here with her good friend and colleague, the Blackpool poet, Darryl Ashton. Next Wednesday is the 16th; this date in August is extremely important to me... my father's birthday. I have many happy memories of this date throughout the years. Alas, forty years ago the day was darkened as we heard the news of the 'King's' demise. Darryl and I are paying our own tribute to this 40th anniversary of this 'Legend's' death.
Those of us old enough to remember the fifties and sixties can remember a time when life without Elvis, his music and films was unthinkable. Elvis was a man of humble origin. he was born in Tupelo, Mississippi on January 8th, 1935. In 1954 he recorded a song with producer Sam Phillips at Sun Records in Memphis, "That's All Right, Mama". I visited the Sun Records in Memphis and felt privileged to stand where he had recorded so many hits. Other hits followed and this young man became a popular star. He had the looks, the gyrating hips and the charisma for success. He was also one of those whose popularity became even greater after his untimely death of a heart attack at his home, Graceland in Memphis. His songs were across genres ... pop, blues and gospel. I adore his rendering of "How Great Thou Art."  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf0vJiyeLIo
I visited Graceland some years ago. It has become a kind of Mecca in the music world:  somewhere for people to make a pilgrimage to in his honour. A lasting memory of Graceland has to be the final stop on the tour...



Elvis's grave in The Meditation Garden where, with the audio tour, the pilgrim may listen to him singing "My Way". I thought it was the perfect end to the tour. His grave is in this garden with his parents and paternal grandmother. If you would like to hear him singing that song along with pictures of his funeral click on to the link below.

 

                                                       
Darryl is also an Elvis fan and, as a tribute, has written the following poems for this occasion.

AN INTERVIEW WITH THE KING
With
(DARRYL ASHTON)

(To mark what would have been 40 years since Elvis Presley’s death this year, DARRYL ASHTON sat down with the King and asked for his take on the world today…)


ELVIS, you’re now 82. How has old age affected you?

(To the tune: All Shook Up)

Well, my hands are shaky and my knees are weak,
I can’t seem to stand on my own two feet.
Who do you thank when you have such luck?
I’m in love, huh,
And I’m All Shook Up.”


What do you make of modern issues like Global warming?
(To the tune: Suspicious Minds)

We’re caught in a trap,
I can’t cool down,
Because I love polar bears too much baby.
Why can’t we see,
What we’re doing to trees,
When you don’t believe a word I say?
We can’t go on for ever,
With suspicious carbon footprints.”


And prison overcrowding. Is it a serious problem?
(To the tune: Jailhouse Rock)

The warden threw a party in the county jail,
The prisoners were given smack and granted bail.
The cells were so busy you couldn’t get more in,
You should’ve heard those drugged-up jailbirds sing,
Let’s rock, everybody, let’s rock,
Everybody, the jail’s chock-a-block,
We’re dancin’ to The Jailhouse Rock.”
What have you made of the recent mail strikes? Have you personally been affected because of all the fan mail?
(To the tune: Return To Sender)

I gave a letter to the postman,
He wouldn’t put it in his sack.
Bright ‘n’ early next morning,
He brought my letter back.
They wrote upon it:
Return To Sender, we’re all on strike,
No such service, till we get a pay hike.”


Now, I know you are a big fan of the English Football Premier
League – and in particular – MAN UNITED.
Who is your favourite player?
(To the tune: The Wonder Of You)

When no one else can beat the keeper,
When everything they do is wrong.
He gives MAN U hope and consolation,
He gives them strength to carry on.
And he’s always there to beat his man,
In everything they do,
That’s the wonder,
The Wonder of Roo.”


What did you think of those two Scotsmen’ who supposedly’
Were in charge of the “United Kingdom?”.
Blair and Brown, I think they were called!?
(To the tune: Heartbreak Hotel)

Well, since my Tony left me,
He’s found a new place to dwell,
A five – million pad in Connaught Square,
And a country house as well.
Oh, Tony, I’m lonely, Tony
Oh, I’m so lonely, Tony,
I’m so lonely, I could cry.

And when he’s not in England
He’s got somewhere else to live,
It’s a luxury, six – star hotel suite
In downtown Tel Aviv
Oh, Tony, I’m so lonely, Tony
Oh, I’m so lonely, Tony,
I’m so lonely, I could cry.

Well since my Tony left me,
My life’s been a living hell,
It’s not so much 10 Downing Street,
As Heartbreak Hotel
Oh, Tony, I’m lonely, Tony
Oh, I’m so lonely, Tony,
I’m so useless, I could cry."


Thanks for your valuable time, Elvis.
God bless you, and, Rock – On! Yeah!


Elvis: “Thank you very much…!”


WRITTEN
BY
DARRYL ASHTON

and

ELVIS PRESLEY SINGS WITH THE ROYAL
PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA.
The brilliant Royal Philharmonic
Orchestra are really so supreme,
They are teaming up with Elvis
Presley - to sing; 'If I Can Dream.'
Elvis does stand there as the
orchestra begins to play,
And Elvis sings his way through - 
the classic; 'My Way'.
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
play their instruments loudly,
As Elvis Presley belts out the
classic; 'American Trilogy'.
The whole orchestra follows Elvis
and they wait for their cue,
Then Elvis belts out loud - the
brilliant; 'The Wonder Of You'.

Elvis sings his heart out - that is
so evident to see,
While The Royal Philharmonic
Orchestra all play with magic glee.
The songs are coming thick and
fast - as Elvis wears his bling,
Confirming to the audience - he
really is the 'King'.
The orchestra stays with him - 
and the music does get higher,
And Elvis belts out the classic 
song: 'See See Rider.'
The audience are in raptures,
as the orchestra know their role,
And Elvis does a mean version - 
of the stunning; 'King Creole.'

The orchestra sounds so
very clever,
As Elvis sings;
' It's Now Or Never'.
The backing singers are at the altar,
As Elvis serenades with
'Bridge Over Troubled
Water'.

As Elvis stands there 
having a drink of ice tea,
The orchestra play; 'It's
Always Me'.
Elvis smiles and the crowd
shout;  'MORE' - 
So Elvis goes through; 'In
The Ghetto'.

This concert is magic - as
God did choose,
And Elvis belts out the:
'Steamroller Blues'.
This CD should be put in
to your checkout cart,
As you listen to Elvis sing;
'How Great Thou Art'.

 Elvis bows to the Royal Philharmonic, 
As his voice sounds so
awesome - and pure 
magic.
The Royal Philharmonic
Orchestra - has pleased Elvis Presley,
Computer magic - is Elvis's'
destiny.

This magical concert is a must
for Elvis fans,
And everyone in the audience - 
are excitingly clapping their hands
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
was sent from heaven, above,
While Elvis brings the curtain
     down with; 'Can't Help Falling  In Love.' 

BY
DARRYL ASHTON   

Enjoy the week, my friends, and perhaps be nostalgic and play the old Elvis favourites or watch his films.
Love  Lady M xxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment