Friday 23 February 2018

The Swinging Sixties

1960's buses
Our red telephone boxes
The Dalek and Dr Who




Hello Everyone,

Yes, I'm coming to terms with my age after last week's revelation but it did set me off down memory lane to my teenage years in the sixties, half a century ago. The world was a different place then. I thought I would share with you six of my memories from those days.

Do you remember?

Mary Quant and Carnaby Street...  Mary Quant changed the world of fashion with her new clothes designs. She liked pinafore and tent dresses in bright colours and the psychedelic look. In 1965 she launched the mini-skirt. The 'Quant' look became a worldwide phenomenon. Carnaby Street in London became the place to see and be seen.

The Beatles and The Mersey Sound... I think my fondest memory of those long gone days was the musical revolution. Liverpool became the centre of the music world with The Mersey Sound. Initially, it was The Beatles who made the breakthrough with their single Please please me which shot to #1 in the charts. Other Liverpool groups followed:- Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, The Searchers and The Swinging Blue Jeans.

The Mini... that small economical vehicle. We had a red one and I had my first driving lessons in that mini.

£/s/d... the UK's old money. Pounds, shillings and pence. The 'd' standing for denarii from the Roman times. There were 12 pence to a shilling and 20 shillings to £1. I learned all of that in school and did numerous sums involving those figures which were all rendered useless when we switched to decimalisation in 1971.

The Carry On Movies... I love watching those old movies on the box these days. I was president of the Film Society in College and have memories of reel changes etc in the pre-digital age. The films of the era were so different from today but portrayed our humour and way of life. The 'Carry-On' series have become an institution.

Dr Beeching and the demise of the Railways... In the sixties as more people had their own vehicles and freight moved to roads from the railways it was Dr Beeching's job to change the railways from steam to diesel and electrification. He axed many of the minor lines which were the main transport modes between villages in rural areas. I remember travelling from Sheffield to York on the steam train. What I now find amusing is that where I live the old railway lines have been revamped and now the metro uses that route!

Have fun folks. If you can remember these things fifty years have just disappeared so enjoy today and tomorrow before the next fifty disappear as quickly.

Love Lady M  xxxx


                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment