Friday 8 February 2019

Writers

At my sixth book launch LOVE YOU FOREVER



Hello Everyone,

After last week's blog on why we write I thought I would find out what people say about authors or writers.  How can you define an individual who works in a profession of solitude and where there are no rules? Again, I have done a little research and found the following comments.

Michael Joseph wrote, "Authors are easy to get on with - if you are fond of children." Well, I was a teacher prior to becoming an author.

Brendan Francis, "What an author likes to write most is his signature on the back of a cheque." YES or another PayPal payment, please.

Samuel Johnson, "The promises of authors are like the vows of lovers."  Interesting!

Benjamin Disraeli, "An author who speaks about his own books is almost as bad as a mother who talks about her own children." Oh dear!

Alexander Pope, "Authors are judged by strange capricious rules. The great ones are thought mad, the small ones fools." Well, I have been known to question my sanity.

Ralph Richardson on being asked to appear in a programme in support of imprisoned writers replied, "No, on the whole I think all writers should be in prison." Solitude wouldn't be a problem would it?

John Osborne, "I like writers like a snake likes live rabbits." I'm thinking 'Watership Down'.

William IV, "I know no person so perfectly disagreeable and even dangerous as an author." Hmmm, as a general rule people do not upset me.

Quentin Crisp, "There are three reasons for becoming a writer. The first is that you need the money; the second that you have something to say that you think the world should know; and the third is that you can't think what to do with the long winter evenings." Clearly written before numerous television channels and Wi-Fi... yes, 1968.

Peter de Vries, "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork." Written pre-computer days in 1977.

John Mortimer, "What obsesses a writer starting out on a lifetime's work is the panic-stricken search for a voice of his own." I am still looking for mine.

Are you thinking of becoming a writer?

Until next week... have fun and treasure each moment.

Lady M











No comments:

Post a Comment