Friday 26 April 2019

Hazy Halcyon Holidays

The day thou gavest..
 Hello Everyone,


At the moment in the UK we are recovering from Easter eggs, fun and excitement as we herald the approaching summer days and are celebrating the warmest Easter in history. Yes, it's a holiday time. What are holidays all about? This particular one is of religious significance for the Christian religion and commemorates the time when Jesus was crucified and then rose from the dead three days later on the Sunday. Although, in today's society the significance is often lost despite the fact that the word derives from 'holy day' and a time when all holidays revolved around religious festivals.

 Generally, holidays are times for relaxation and to charge the batteries. How do people spend them? In the days of my youth we were lucky if we had one week's holiday a year and extremely fortunate if we had two. It was a time to visit the seaside. I recall such happiness over a week in a caravan in Cleethorpes and a week in Devon. They were always in the summer months and then the seaside life and activities seemed to die for the winter as holidaymakers returned to their normal life resigned not to take another holiday until the next summer. This was in the days before package holidays abroad became fashionable. Now, it seems like people take more holidays than work days. The nature of the break varies from travelling abroad to participating in various activities.

 I recently heard a new word, 'staycation'. I discovered it means staying at home as opposed to travelling abroad. I believe it originated in America although a few days after I heard it, I heard it again on our news as many peeps were spending this warm Easter on UK territory as opposed to rushing to the airports and heading for foreign shores. They gave the main reason as Brexit uncertainty but they certainly got the last laugh as our weather was warmer than most of Europe. Times and the climate are changing fast.

I always feel that there are three parts to every holiday. The preparation and glorious anticipation of good times. The actual event and finally the memories which last a life time. I thought this week, while it's school holidays and everyone is in holiday mode I would share some of my memories and pics of my recent holiday in Paphos with you. Lady M is a great believer that if you don't enjoy your holiday whatever it brings it's your own fault. There are obvious exceptions to this rule like if you fall seriously ill or are involved in a terrorist attack.

Anyway, I recently spent twenty-one nights at The Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in Paphos where I am well-known, (best not to ask why!) and always receive a warm welcome. During the period we had one week of dreary, dismal weather which was a joke because I knew they were enjoying an unusual heatwave at home. However, those days prevented me from sunbathing but did not spoil my fun. There were still activities to enjoy in the hotel like skittles, bowls, Uno card game, cocktail  and flower demonstrations... all good fun.

When the days are glorious and sunny, which is the norm in Cyprus, what is my routine do I hear you ask? It's like this. On the first morning before breakfast I tootle down to the pool and reserve my sun lounger. Now, I may be thought of as bonkers but if I am going to have the same sun lounger for three weeks I'm going to get intimate with it and I always give him/it a name. This last one was number E19 and I christened him Lupin or better known as Loopy. I also do regular postings on FB as several of my friends online seem to want to enjoy my holiday at my expense and I'm such a kind person I share it with them. My previous loungers have been Laurie and Lenny. Peeps seem to look forward to reading about my relationship with this inanimate item which develops an identity during my sojourn.

The main job done I go into breakfast (wearing shades cos I travel incognito) I like a table looking at the harbour and I usually get one. I try to avoid a cooked breakfast and stick to fruit, salad and yogurt because I eat too much there and put weight on. Alas, I'm usually tempted by the aroma of bacon and wander over to the hot buffet... bacon, eggs, sausages, pancakes... Once I've eaten more than I usually eat in a whole day at home, I take my second cup of coffee outside and enjoy it while seated on the lounger. It is so beautiful and relaxing listening to the lapping water in the pool and admiring the view. The rest of the world and it's problems do not seem to exist. Then, I count my blessings that I can actually afford to do this.

I decide what I am going to do for the rest of the morning. My usual trip is a saunter down to the harbour for coffee or ice cream and possibly shopping. Other options are taking the bus up to the old town where I can shop and meet friends or If it's Wednesday possibly visit the Duck Pond market and find  a bargain. I'm good at that. Alternatively, I may venture to the Kings Mall and take my weekly exercise... a stroll round the Jumbo store. Another option is a bus ride to Coral Bay. Or maybe, if I'm feeling lazy just stay in the hotel sunbathing or participating in the morning activities. However, I like to be back at the hotel before 1.15 in time for my pre-lunch drink... white rum, orange and Grenadine known as Caribbean sunrise which is where I first enjoyed it... in St Lucia.

Next, lunch is on the agenda with vino. Then, mid afternoon it's time to lounge by the pool and wait for the sun to go down. The sunsets are spectacular out there. I go back to my room and have a snooze in preparation for the evening. Now, I like to dress appropriately for dinner. I despair when I see peeps in the restaurant looking like they're dressed to do the gardening. Maybe I'm Dickensian in my outlook or you could say I have standards. I have scented tealights in my room which glow while I'm enjoying my bubble bath and then I'm ready to dress for dinner.

I leave my room at 8.00 pm and take the lift down to the restaurants. No, I seldom use the stairs. I usually dine in the Roxanne and enjoy the buffet whatever the theme is for that night. Sometimes, there's a pianist playing beautiful music which adds to the atmosphere. Occasionally, I may dine in the Asian or Italian Restaurants but these require booking in advance and that is a lot of hassle. I, usually, can't be bothered. However, on this last holiday I did enjoy the Greek meze. I didn't book. They were short on numbers on that Saturday night and just offered me a reservation at 8.00. It was fantastic but I was relieved when other diners  shared my embarrassment as to the amount of food which is returned to the kitchen. The meze, by it's nature, is a massive selection of dishes and is extremely filling but delightful.

After dinner I go to the Saga lounge and collect my coffee and amaretto drink. I take them into the bar and wait for the evening entertainment. usually, a cabaret show like Jersey Boys, (my fav one) or an artiste singing. Before that, if I get there in time, there's a quiz or bingo. All exciting.

Yes, I book with Saga. I'm so lazy these days that I book taxi, insurance, flight and the all-inclusive hotel deal with Saga. That way, I'm there responsibility from leaving my home until I return. In addition to what I've already mentioned I did visit Limassol this time on a Saga excursion.

An additional bonus this time was that I was there for the carnival and Green Monday celebration. I had fun flying my kite... well, trying to!

So, folks, that is a typical hols for me. You may cringe or leap for joy at the thought of opulence, laziness and luxury which I define as hazy, halcyon days.

Whatever type of hols you choose... enjoy it and count your blessings.

I'm leaving you with some of the pics!

Lady M

Tyler sporting my hat!







































2 comments:

  1. It is appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
    I’ve read this post and if I could I desire to suggest you some interesting things or tips.
    Maybe you could write next articles referring to this
    article. I want to read even more things about it!
    I have been surfing on-line greater than 3 hours lately, yet I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is beautiful price sufficient for me. Personally, if all
    web owners and bloggers made good content material as
    you did, the internet will likely be a lot more useful than ever before.

    I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This type of clever work and
    reporting! Keep up the amazing works guys
    I've added you guys to my personal blogroll.
    http://foxnews.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on blogs I stumbleupon on a daily basis.
    It will always be useful to read articles from other writers and use a little something from other sites.

    ReplyDelete