Friday 24 July 2020

The glass is always half full





Howde Peeps,

Yes Donald and I are still here. We hope you enjoyed our amusing choice for last week. Lockdown continues. Case numbers are rising. We think you should all take a leaf out of that wonderful Captain Sir Tom's book. He was knighted last week and joked that he could not kneel or he would never get up again. The Queen came out of Windsor Castle to greet him and officially knight him by touching his shoulders with her sword. Social distance was practised. He has a set phrase, "tomorrow will be a good day". I wonder if that philosophy has got him to the ripe old age of 100?

This week we have gone further back into the archives to January. Last year, in September, the love of her life lost his battle to Cancer. She was distraught but accepted that life goes on. This week we are going to share her positive, "the glass is half full" post from January. 

                                                    ***************************



Lady M still here and guess what peeps... it's the last day of January. We have survived the drab, dreary month with Blue Monday. The Chinese New Year, the year of the rabbit, is with us although there is a serious and threatening health issue in China. Scotland has enjoyed Burns Night and rumour has it that Big Ben may strike this evening heralding the UK's departure from the European Union. Personally, I have survived by trying to be cheerful and positive with my half full glass. 

Last week I went on a little adventure which I would like to share with you. It was a drab, cold, miserable day when I stepped out of my front door. I had more layers on than I could count and with big coat, hat, scarf and gloves I ventured forth. I strolled through the shopping centre toward the tram. Now, we all know how much I love tram riding because it's free as a concession to my senior years. It was more of an adventure than usual because the tram line has been extended by two stops in Birmingham. So, I really was venturing out on a new experience. 

We moved on from Grand Central to Town Hall and beyond to Library on Broad Street. I looked at the scenery in amazement, hardly recognised this twenty-first century Birmingham. I stepped out at the Terminus and stared. I was standing roughly where I had stood forty years ago as a young bride having my wedding photos taken. I remember crossing Broad Street from what was then the Register Office to a beautiful grass area by the Rep Theatre. Now, I was standing among road works as they are preparing to take the tram right the way along Broad Street to Five Ways. Not a blade of grass in sight. It was a case of find the footpath to Brindley Place, a modern area of Birmingham which didn't exist then. 

Wandering round that area and the canals was like being in a new city for me. The regeneration of Britain's second city has certainly exceeded my expectations and now I believe, more firmly than ever, that it will soon be Britain's first city with or without the new HS2 train. You heard it here first!

I found what I was looking for, the Sea Life Centre. It was one of those places on my list to visit and what better time than when one needs cheering up in January? Also, it is the time of the year when visitors are low in number. The admission fee was a bit of a shock, £21.95. It's cheaper if you book online. I knew that but as I don't decide to do things until the last minute I didn't book online and anyway the web price was out of date; it stated £20. Hence, my surprise. Now, because I'm ancient I relate all prices to my first weekly wage packet in 1964... £3 + 6s bonus and a box of chocolates. It was the week before Christmas and I still remember those crispy £1 notes. For the youth of today 6s or shillings translates as 30p. It would have taken me seven weeks to earn £21 in 1964 and that is some indication of inflation in half a century. On the positive side I have a ticket for a return visit because one part was closed. See peeps, the glass is always half full.

Once inside I found it an interesting and exhilarating experience walking through the centre and being in what is a natural environment for our aquatic beings. I took a few pics and would like to share a couple. 










Yes, that's penguins and some fish just to prove I was there. I guess it only took about forty minutes to walk through or rather upwards before taking the easy route down in a lift to the Ocean Tunnel where we walked through water... water above, fish swimming on either side and water below us. Magical!

I left through the gift shop. We all know you can never leave any tourist attraction without visiting the shop. No I did not succumb but headed straight for Costa and lunch. Peeps, you know me so well.

After lunch I headed back to the tram and returned home. It had been a great adventure and brightened up the week. To use one of my own quotes, "Life is like fish and chips...tasteless without salt and vinegar." That little excursion was my salt and vinegar last week. Peeps, it's up to you to find your "salt and vinegar".

All my love and best wishes to all of you,

Lady M xxxxxx


                              ***************************************

Stay positive and safe, folks. back next week. Love y'all, Sofia and Donald xxxxxxxxx

1 comment: