Friday 20 November 2020

Covid Chronicles 5

Beautiful sunset after a perfect Paphos day 2016




Hello Everyone,  

Lady M here and looking out of her window on a very drab, grey November morning. We are approaching week three of our second lockdown and the nation's mood is one of misery and despair. We see one glimmer of happiness on the horizon... Christmas but will we be able to see our relatives? Well, I have not got any immediate family so it doesn't bother me. I did read an amusing post on FB this morning. "Last year we were looking forward to leaving the EU. This year we are just looking forward to leaving the f***ing house." I thought it summarised our situation extremely well. Stay positive my friends. I will share with you last weekend's posts. If you are on FB, and let's face it most peeps are on social media these days, please find me and you will be able to read all of the posts on my page; they are all 'public'. The pic? taken from my albums and a memory from a perfect day. It is reminder to appreciate what we have because we never know when things will change. Let's face it we did not see any of this horrendous time coming. Even, in these trying times we can make memories and happy ones.

                                              *******************************

Day 236, Saturday 14th November 2020. Lockdown 2, Day 10

Happy birthday Prince Charles! 72 today.

Good morning everyone. I heard some fireworks last night but nothing from either of my new neighbours. No pretty sparklers or colours illuminating the sky.

I was late rising this morning. I looked out, as usual, and vaguely remembered those lovely September sunny days when Antonio called. It was wet and grey. Three visitors’ cars on our little street. Okay. Dress. I choose to be happy. Downstairs. Alarm off. Go into lounge and smile. A beautiful lit candle brightens my day. No, I did not leave it burning overnight. It is a led one and I set it on a timer to come on about 10.00 so that it welcomes me each drab morning through the winter. I have another one set for the evenings. It is the little things that make life bearable through these trying times.

BBC news channel on. Kettle on. Brekky time with iPad. Am I having a boring day ahead or a productive, cheerful one? Well that really depends on me, doesn’t it? Temperature? 36.1̊. Weather 12̊, mild for the time of year.

First things take recycling material out to bin (blue bin) and feed pesky pigeons. Next water plants. Washing up? Nah, later! A little pampering… a face mask while I listen to some of my Bobby Dazzler’s music. It is so nice to have music recoded for you by a loved one when they have passed over, kind of comforting.

Okay, news. Sorry, (bus alert. Two. Blue and red both leaving the centre. A 16 with one passenger and an empty 46) Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper who was convicted of murdering 13 women and the attempted murder of a further 7, has died from Covid-19. Guess, sometimes it picks the right person. He was 74 and been in jail since 1981, 39 years and has cost us, the taxpayers, approximately £11,000,000. Now, I am thinking of those refugees and homeless peeps. Our money would have been better spent helping them rather than keeping him in a cosy cell, albeit in isolation. Is it time to reconsider the death penalty or maybe Covid is doing it for us?

Trump has emerged from the White House. Is his tantrum over? He has hinted that maybe his time is over, but his face says… sore loser.

There is one cheerful piece of news and a video that’s gone viral. ‘Betty moves into care home with Ken’. Ken has been in the care home with dementia for five weeks but missing his wife of 71 years. She had self-isolated in the care home for two weeks and had Covid-19 tests. The staff set up a romantic meal for two and brought Ken to the table before bringing Betty to join him. He asked if she was taking him home. She replied, “No, I am moving in with you” or something like that. It brought tears to your eyes. It also shows just how much (another bus gone over the bridge) care workers do for those in their care.

Off to watch two films now, “Finding Neverland” with Johnny Depp. The story of the making of ‘Peter Pan’. Should be educating. Then, an old favourite, “Dirty Dancing” and “nobody puts Baby in the corner”. Wonder how many more films I am gonna watch this winter? 100 or more.

Oh, Prince Andrew has been seen leaving Windsor Castle. I don’t get it. Why is that news? His Mum is living there and he’s probably in her bubble. He lives in a massive place on the estate. Is it because he thinks he may return to Royal duties because they’re a bit short of the HRH’s these days despite the fact that his behaviour has made such a position untenable?

 

Day 237, Sunday 15th November 2020. Lockdown 2, Day 11 (half-way through November)

Good afternoon!

Well, I enjoyed the films yesterday before my chicken and bacon slice with veggies for dinner. Last night? Played and watched television. There were loads of fireworks. Some families were obviously enjoying Diwali even if there were no public gatherings. I did see some of the pretty colours lighting up the sky.

This morning, I sauntered downstairs after 10.00 and the pretty candlelight in the lounge warmed my heart. I choose to be happy. Television on. Kettle on. Cereals in bowl. Coffee and milk in cup. Brekky time with iPad.

Sad news. Des O’Connor has passed away at the age of 88. Wow! Dessy has gone. He will be enjoying his party with Morecambe and Wise upstairs. Three first class entertainers reunited. RIP Des!

“Songs of Praise” time. Candles lit. Second cuppa. It was Aled Jones hosting the programme from Wales. He began with my fave hymn, “Dear Lord and Father of Mankind”. It has that wonderful line which brings back memories of my first visit to Israel and the Sea of Galilee. I will always remember the magical moment of standing by the shore, looking across the calm sea and singing, “O, Sabbath rest by Galilee, o calm of hills above, where Jesus knelt to share with Thee the silence of eternity interpreted by love … Drop Thy still dews of quietness, Till all our strivings cease.” Okay back to reality.

Aled is in Bangor Cathedral talking of his early days as a chorister. I remember mine in that little village of Ashford-in-the-Water. I have a pic of me, aged 9, outside the vestry in chorister robes. No, you are not seeing it. Tough! More beautiful hymns. I love the traditional ones. “Thine be the Glory”, “Guide us O thou great Jehovah” and he conclude with “How Great Thou Art”. It was lovely and brightened the grey day.

Next! I replayed a tape of a clairvoyance reading in 1998. Many of you may think such things are rubbish. Fine, you have a right to your opinion. However, in 1998 I had not published any novels, or articles. I had not even written the first published book. I was a complete unknown. He said that I would be a writer and my work would be inspirational to people in the future. Wow! Have you been inspired reading either these chronicles or my books? Peeps will want to read my work. Double Wow! It will be my legacy to the world. Treble Wow! Makes you think doesn’t it?

After listening to that the sun decided to make a brief appearance clearing away torrential rain. I ventured out, across to the post box in New Square. Had a letter to post. Yes, I still write them. It is an old art whereby you pick up a pen and find some paper, although it was, in this case, a card and scribe meaningful personal words with joined-up letters. Not impersonal typed email.

As usual, for you all, I was observant. First, I was horrified by the cruel breeze, it blew right through me even though the sun was a blinding force. My eyes were watery when I reached the pedestrian crossing. Pressed the button. Waited. Cars stopped. I crossed and walked by Primark. No goodies in the windows, just pretty display boards showing what you might buy, if you were allowed out. There were quite a few peeps around which surprised me. I guess they were walking down to Tesco’s. Walked to the little red box and posted my letter. Pandora? Closed. Peacocks? Closed with closing down sale signs still in the windows. Were they one of the companies in liquidation, meaning they will not reopen? One sign of normality. A Christmas tree already up, waiting for decoration but with a sign, “Merry Christmas”. I looked at the other shops, all closed apart from Vodafone and Specsavers. They must be essential this time. Normally, on a Sunday in November all the shops would be bustling as crowds shopped for Christmas. This year, I suspect that peeps are watching the pennies or shopping online. I returned home. Opened my door. Switched off the alarm and counted my blessings. I have had my share of misfortunes and life has dealt me some cruel blows, but I still have so much in comparison with many others. I have worked for what I have but I was fortunate to receive an education. I could be homeless with that cruel breeze biting through me and I would have nowhere to rush home to. Be thankful for what you have, my friends.

Lunchtime followed by phone call to my new-found second cousin. Each time we talk I am amazed at how much we have in common. By the time we had finished it was passed 4.15 and the darkness had made another appearance. So, I have come up to my computer and am writing all of this for you. You lucky peeps. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening wherever you are. I have the film “633 Squadron” on and I am going to give it my full attention now.

Choose to be happy and positive. Stay occupied and thankful. This nightmare will pass, as all things do.

Okay just before dinner which is chicken with mushrooms, onion, pepper and tomatoes with vino, I thought I would give you the weekly update on Covid-19. It is not good. The global figure is 54,621,689. Last Sunday it was 50,387,605. That is a rise of 4,000,000+ in one week. To be precise 4,264,084. My friends, it is on the rise and deffo in control! President Trump thought he could control it. I don’t think so. Here, in the UK we have moved up to 7 in the league table and today our total figure is 1,369,318 with 51,934 deaths.

Love to you all, Lady M 💓💓💓


No comments:

Post a Comment