Friday, 23 December 2011
A MERRY CHRISTMAS QUIZ
On behalf of Donald, myself and Lady M, I would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and as my little present to you I am giving you a special quiz for Christmas. Answers next week!
1. How many Advent Sundays come before Christmas?
2. In which TWO Gospels can the story of the birth of Jesus be found?
MATTHEW & LUKE
3. Which angel visited Mary and Joseph?
4. Why were Mary and Joseph going to Bethlehem?
FOR THE CENSUS
5. Which Empire was ruling at the time of Jesus?
6. What gifts did the three wise men bring?
GOLD, FRANKINCENSE, & MYRRH
7. Who first dreamed of a 'White Christmas'?
8. What is the next line of this carol
'The holly and the ivy, when they are both full grown...'?
'OF ALL THE TREES THAT ARE IN THE WOOD, THE HOLLY BEARS THE CROWN'
9. What gift was given on the fifth day of Christmas?
5 GOLD RINGS
10. Who first introduced the Christmas tree into Britain and when?
PRINCE ALBERT, 1840
11. In what year was the first commercial Christmas card produced in Britain?
12. Who produced it?
13. 26th December is known as 'Boxing Day' and also the feast of St .......?
14. In Sweden the Christmas season begins with St Lucia's Day, when is this?
15. What date is Epiphany?
16. English children put stockings up for Santa to fill, what do French children put out?
SHOES, WOODEN CLOGS OR SABOTS
17. Father Christmas is also known as Saint ........?
18. Who wrote the poem, 'The Oxen'?
19. Scrooge and Tiny Tim are characters in which Dickens' story?
A CHRISTMAS CAROL
20. What symbol in the Grotto of the Church of Nativity marks the spot where Jesus was born?