Friday 7 January 2022

Happy New Year...Plan B!



Hello Everyone,

It is 2022. I hope you all survived New Year's Eve and did not suffer from the malady of a hangover on new Year's Day. 

I am beginning my blog this year by posting my latest Covid Chronicles which returned in December when we went into a kind of lockdown called Plan B! Yes, it really is 649 days since we first went into a full lockdown in March 2020. It was only supposed to last for twenty-one days.




 Day 649, Saturday, January 1st, 2022 (Day 32 Plan B. Get ready for more restrictions, lockdown 4 on its way)

                                            

                                                     NEW YEAR’S DAY

 

Good morning on this bright sunny day in the UK. We have the warmest New Year on record. Well, I am not complaining. May I wish all of you, my friends, wherever you are every happiness, success, and good health throughout 2022.

 

I arose just after 9.00 this morning and considering I did not retire until 2.00pm that is remarkable for me. Maybe it is a sign of things to come. I love New Year’s Day; I see hope and excitement ahead. On auto-pilot I take my lateral flow test before breakfast. Negative. Will report it online later. Time for my New Year’s day treat, watching the traditional concert from Vienna. Then, there is the Archbishop of Canterbury’s message. He and I have one thing in common… our belief that hope is essential. His message was on the theme of hope for the future after trying times.

 

Okay, pop out and take calendars to my neighbours. Spread a little happiness before I watch another fav film, The Sound of Music. Memories and love the music… Climb every mountain…

 

The New Year’s Honours list is headline news. Call me cynical but we have examples of how some are benefitting from their Covid work. NHS, teachers, frontline workers? Nah! Professor Chris Whitty, and Jonathan Van Tam, our chief medical officer and his deputy have been knighted. Other peeps include the talented Joanna Lumley, Ashley Banjo, and Bill Roache, (better known as Ken Barlow of Corrie).

 

Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s funeral took place this morning in Cape Town Cathedral, South Africa.

 

Our Health Secretary, Sajid Javid, has indicated that the next few days are critical for the NHS and further restrictions cannot be ruled out. Hospital cases have risen by 68% in a week. In one attempt to prevent the lurgy spreading it will be mandatory for secondary school children to wear masks during lessons when school recommences next week. Our daily figures are still high and as this is the weekend, they are usually lower than in the week due to lack of data but today it is 161,692 new cases and 154 deaths. As 95% of cases are now the Omicron variant, I am assuming that those deaths are the Omicron variant. Just to refresh your memory we were told that this variant was more transmissible but milder than Delta. If that is the case then I have one question, why is the number of daily deaths so high? Surely, it should be in low double figures not treble ones.

 

Looking forward to tonight’s premiere showing of Downton Abbey, the film on the box. I missed it when it was on our Silver Screen at the Odeon on a Thursday morning because I was in Cyprus. Ah, the good old days of my youth. Those long ago days when life seemed so simple, and we took everything for granted. Wait a minute it was only a couple of years ago. The last Silver Screen was March 2020. My last visit to Cyprus was 2019. It just seems like an eternity ago.

 

I bid you a fond farewell for today. I wish you much happiness for the future. I hope you have made positive New Year Resolutions and you will keep them.

 

Back tomorrow.

 

Day 650, Sunday, January 2nd, 2022. (Day 34. Plan B. Just wait awhile…)

Later rising this morning after yesterday’s exciting day. It is still mild here for the time of year, 14°. Alas, in Colorado, just north of Denver they are suffering from the effects of climate change. I see today they have had a massive snowfall but sadly, three days too late to prevent tragedy. They had a drought followed by raging fires which razed properties to the ground. Residents were forced to evacuate and on returning today they attempted to salvage what they could of their possessions through the snow covering the ruins of their properties. What a start to 2022. Count your blessings, my friends if you are not in such dire straits.

 

Okay, back to the start of my day. I saw the bright light of that phenomenon named Sun through my drapes. Happy. Jump out of bed. I lie. I carefully, and slowly arose from my bed. Smiling. Approaching soixante-neuf et deux and still alive. Looked out of the windows, dressed, and ventured downstairs. The Paddington films are on the Beeb prior to the news and Songs of Praise. I listen more than watch the films as I have brekky and play with iPad. Then, pop outside because pesky pigeons are making me aware of their presence. How dare I eat before I feed them. Also, need to feed Miss Bugsy Blue Bin.

 

Songs of Praise began with that glorious hymn, Morning has broken… ‘like the first morning’. Yes, my friends we are lucky enough to see another day. We must embrace it and enjoy it.

 

For the rest of my day, I shall be working on three of my projects. Writing these chronicles, reading through them, and writing my next novel.

 

Covid update time. Today’s UK figure is 137,583 with 73 deaths. The total global case figure is 290,668,26. What was it twelve months ago? Let me check. 85,102,771. That is 215,566,430 cases more than last year. What about the death figure? How do we compare with other countries? We have a fatality figure of 193,438 for every million of our population. Let’s compare it with India who as far as case figures go are second in the league table to the USA but their fatality rate is only 344 for every million of their population. Aren’t statistics fantastic? Oh, we still remain at #4 in the global table with 13,235,401 total cases. Brazil at #3 have a total of 22,293,228. India have 34+ million and the USA 56+ million but look at the size of their countries and population in comparison with our small island.

 

Other news. The South African parliament building in Cape Town is on fire and the damage is serious to a building with part of it dating back to the 1800’s. Experts fear it may collapse. Fortunately, the building was empty due to the holidays, but it is the second fire in ten months. In Amsterdam there are protests over the government’s imposed lockdown.

 

At home twenty Conservative MP’s and peers have called on Booster Boris to take action over the proposed energy rises from April. They want him to reduce the taxes to ease the situation on households who will also suffer from the general rise in the cost of living resulting from the double whammy of Covid and Brexit. Our Booster Boris is insisting that there will be no further restrictions. I am smiling at his ostrich approach to problems. Thinking. His reply to problems resulting from Brexit. He just said peeps voted for it, he delivered it and now it is up to them. Red tape? Price rises? Problems with exports and imports? Not his problem! That’s how Booster Boris survives. Right now, he is delivering boosters at a record pace. That is our salvation and nothing else matters. Case figures, hospitalisations, businesses collapsing, economy on its knees, no furlough, staff shortages in all sectors of society due to Covid… the ostrich approach.

 

Football matches are going ahead. Chelsea played Liverpool this afternoon in the Premier League at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea’s home ground. The result was a draw 2-2. But history was made. Spectators were standing again. It has been illegal since 1994 after the horrific Hillsborough disaster in 1989.

 

Tomorrow, we have another Bank Holiday Monday like last week and then on Tuesday our live goes back to the new normal.

 

Have a nice evening my friends, wherever you are. Goodnight

No comments:

Post a Comment